Gary is a flexible, results driven and adaptable MSP, MoR and PRINCE 2 Practitioner qualified Programme and Change Manager with a wealth of experience in both Private and Public sectors. He is a dynamic leader, forward thinker and excellent communicator at all levels and in all disciplines. He has a successful track record in delivering multiple complex projects on time and under budget. Gary has particular skills in programme recovery, systems integration, stakeholder management, client and supplier liaison and influencing with excellent presentation at all levels (up to and including C Suite and Minister). Gary is at home in fast-paced, complex environments where he can drive delivery of outcomes He establishes, adapts and focuses on stated objectives, analysing knowledge levels and identifying critical gaps to best meet client needs. He has a keen eye for detail as projects go live to ensure smooth transition and change embedding and fully understands the relationship between technology and business and vice versa thus ensuring maximum benefit of any initiative. Gary builds programmes on a foundation of openness, integrity and honesty by using open communication and clear ethical principles of governance. Gary has a great deal of experience in resource and line management of project teams.
Rescue and deliver a number of initiatives as follows:- • PSD 2 (Payment Services Directive 2) ◦ Kick off the project to implement the forthcoming PSD 2 legislation ◦ Obtain legal counsel internally and external (PWC) advice on what PSD2 means to the bank and develop strategy for delivery. ◦ Pull together relevant stakeholders – Legal / Compliance / Corporate / Private Bank / IT / HR / Fraud / Financial Crime. ◦ Establish and kick off multiple work streams - Compliance and Legal / IT (API’s) / Business strategy and opportunities. • IFRS9 (Data and IT) ◦ Lead the infrastructure and data requirements for IFRS9 ◦ 19 data feeds ◦ Decommission legacy systems ◦ Manage install of new systems to capture data • AML Transaction Monitoring ◦ Implementation of automated TM system (Actimize) utilising SA install with UK partition ◦ Manage collation of all required data (transaction / position / client) ◦ Ensure successful leverage off SA systems whilst maintaining autonomy from batch run process to compliance with UK DPA legislation. • Fraud Real Time Screening ◦ Implementation of fraud real time screening (Actimize) leveraging off SA systems and fraud teams ◦ Establish set up of Actimize real time screening system in the UK and connect to RCM in SA. ◦ Manage through from Development, SIT, UAT to deployment of Actimize vanilla offering and bespoke data correlation tool. ◦ Establish new business processes with SA team for both Fraud and Banking operations. • CHAPS and CREST Settlement extension ◦ Compliance of Bank of England settlement extension requirements • Travel Management company change ◦ Migration from existing travel management provider to new supplier ◦ Tender and vendor selection • Pillar 3 Capital Disclosure ◦ Ensure banks compliance to new Pillar 3 reporting mandate • Asset Finance Capital and provisioning ◦ Establishing C&P provisioning within the Asset Finance Group for both Behavioural and Application Scoring. ◦ System set up with feeds and sync between front office EDI / Brokerlink, Equifax and Data Warehouse. • Salary Sacrifice Employee Car Scheme ◦ Engagement with Salary Sacrifice Fleet management specialist ◦ Adapt HR systems ◦ Launch with car manufacturers and companies Air Quality Campaign • Treasury in Australia – Set up treasury facilities in the Sydney office in order for trades to be booked to Australian Balance Sheet with back office operations performed by UK. ◦ Ensure compliance with both the UK and Australian regulators. ◦ Establish facility to syndicate 80% - 90% of loans back to the UK to free up Australian book. • MCOB (Mortgage Conduct of Business) – Ensure compliance with regulatory requirement to produce MCOB statements. ◦ Ensure all statements are dispatched ◦ Plan for automation of future production • Aircraft Leasing business restructure ◦ Set up a management company in Ireland for the existing operation. ◦ Establish new operations in Cayman Islands, Hong Kong, UK and China ◦ Manage all aspects of set up, share transfer, initial board meetings and business infrastructure in Ireland (IT, TUPE of staff etc) ◦ Liaise with Lawyers in respect of establishing the best mechanism for entity establishment in China. • Oversee closure of Toronto office and transfer of all Infrastructure business to the New York Office. ◦ Disposal of Office location and contents ◦ Retrenchment of Staff ◦ Secure data transfer ◦ Ensure continuing service of existing client book during transition. • MiFID 2 ◦ Early investigative work for MiFID 2 ◦ Vendor selection with consultancy firms to help take the organisation forward.
• Advise senior stakeholders (MD’s of Savings and Mortgage Banks) and heads of operations to provide leadership in managing the Savings and Mortgage Bank strategic programme of initiatives for both retail and SME savings and Mortgage platform enhancements including but not limited to:- ◦ Major system stability programme across 2 platforms (upgrades to T24 and Tornado). ◦ Complete migration of SME Savings system to new platform from Tornado to Edge Connect. ◦ Significant programme of changes to ensure maximum efficiency within BAU operations. ◦ FATCA (Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act) ensuring the banks regulatory obligations are met. In addition designed the solution in a scalable manner in order to accommodate the upcoming CRS (Common Reporting Standards) regulation. ◦ Implementation of systems for selling of products through 3[rd] parties. ◦ Implementation of eISA Functionality. ◦ Internal Transfers capability. ◦ Workflow assessment as part of the corporate CRM project. ◦ Implementation of Mortgage Trading Exchange portal for UK largest chain of brokers. • Management of 3[rd] party IT suppliers. • Management of offshore testing partner. • Managing the implementation of a new Asset Finance Back Office portal. ◦ Holistic view of all work streams (Operations, IT, MIS etc). ◦ Ensure all areas are joined up and gaps identified and closed. ◦ Management of communications plan to wider stakeholders. • Drive the strategic discovery phase to move the organisation to single customer view (OCIS, Operational Customer Insight System); bringing together Architecture, Data, Business, Compliance and Marketing to obtain a consensus on the level that the bank wants to achieve and commence delivery. • Key involvement in the design and implementation of a new Governance Model across the bank including new reporting structure within the Transformation and Change area and to board level.
Consultant Senior Project Manager • Managing the delivery of the UK Governments strategy for Financial Capability. To target 10.2 Million UK adults that have been identified requiring assistance and guidance to be Financially Capable. • Stakeholder management of senior Government Officials, financial institutions and charities in pulling together the strategy • Prepare the strategy for Parliamentary and Public Consultation. • In addition manage the rebuild of the Data Warehouse in order to meet the upcoming reporting requirements to show how successful the strategy is. • Managing the tender process and supplier selection along with new Data Warehouse set up, definition of data dictionary and format and migration from existing system.
Delivery Budget £35m – Value of payments £1.5 billion • Following announcement that HM Treasury would start ex-gratia payments to Equitable Life policy holders NS&I was appointed solution provider for the payment scheme on behalf of HM Treasury. • Managed the migration of 1.7m customer data records from HM Treasury actuaries into the new system ensuring all data protection legislation was met. • Due to the complexity of the data a robust mechanism was required to ensure all customer records where grouped correctly by their multiple pension policy types in order to ensure correct payment calculations and data links where customers held more than one policy type. • Ensured design and set-up of payment solution by copying and adapting existing THALER banking system to make pension calculations in order to pay £1bn in first year. • Set up of Cheque payments system within Phase 1 with BACS and International payment functionality from Phase 2 onwards. • This was an Agile delivery with short sprints to code drops for each form of payment functionality. • Set up call centre and facility for payments and responses to policy-holders’ complaints, appeals and recalculations (300 staff). • Ensured data was robust; managed KPMG Audit & Assurance and National Audit Office oversight. • Ensured full compliance with all regulatory requirements for payments including passing all customer records through PEP’s, Sanctions and Anti Money laundering screening. • Established mechanism for ongoing operations to be relocated to Chennai India.
• Directed completion and stress-testing of business continuity plans, including stakeholder management ensuring all areas of the Trust and boroughs bought into the process concentrating on Finance and back-office functions. • Project-managed the Trust's involvement with the London 2012 Olympics and ensured compliance with the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 in all aspects of ensuring financial stability and continuity of operations in the event of an incident.
• Two projects: led National Chief Executive Programme to ensure all Ambulance Services throughout UK were prepared for winter demands/potential for pandemic flu; and London Ambulance Service’s readiness for Olympics-related event control, scoping projects and securing funding where necessary. • Re Winter readiness, ensured all work-stream inputs completed and collated and then structured and produced national framework document for presentation to Department of Health for Ministerial review. • Effective management of work-streams headed by National Chief Executives and Operations Directors to change and refine processes to align with winter planning. • London 2012 Olympics required dedicated Events Control Facility to handle all related emergency calls; prepared business case and secured funding requirements. • Briefed to establish direction for project, set up all project governance under PRINCE 2 and pull together all stakeholders (LAS, Met Police, IT, Estates etc) and Project Board to provide direction re Event Control Facility; focused existing work into a structured project.
Transforming Tribunals Programme • Responsible for all Tribunals projects relocating non-customer-facing finance and admin operations. • Influenced Senior Judiciary/Chambers Presidents to manage transformation of clerking and judicial support (overcoming initial resistance from Judiciary). • Facilitated improving back-office operations as part of Access to Justice Programme; advised operations managers on best practice and how to manage successful change and imnplement new target operating models. • Successful union negotiations to redeploy existing London staff and recruit staff in new locations. • Bid and secured funding via Treasury and Cabinet Office for budget £6.9m – completed on time and under budget delivering £12m savings.
• Programme Manager for commencement of the FCSS Programme to retender/renegotiate out-sourced shared service back-office operations. • Senior civil servants required sensitive influencing and negotiating skills to complete due diligence. • Co-ordinated due diligence for merger of National Offender Management Service and HM Prison Service; analysed and reviewed potential options; produced and presented high-level proposals to board directors and Director General on feasibility of options for future operational state. • Ensured efficient internal operations to facilitate smooth transition of shared service contract; reviewed scope of Supplier Data Maintenance project to clean database and upload to intranet and managed Judiciary fee payments system migration within Oracle. • Prepared all project documentation to Prince 2 methodology; identified and engaged key stakeholders; managed internal and external PMs to achieve coherent method of operation. • Full governance with regular review and action meetings with PMs and stakeholders.
• Finance project & change manager for online possession claims system deployed to all UK County Courts; completed project that had been stalled for 2 years prior to appointment, successfully recommenced project and delivered all key aspects including IT development (within Oracle Financials), new banking arrangements, internal credit team and deployment across UK. • Head of Strategy and Planning against the facility and required working with and influencing to show the merits of the PCOL system and how it benefited the organisation and fitted with strategic plan. • Set up back-office credit operations within HM Court Services; ensured all operational stakeholders requirements adopted in new system and processes. • Managed analysis, design and implementation of new Target operating Model across all County Courts. • PRINCE 2 methodology applied to project with budget of £5m and which formed major part of the Courts and Tribunals Modernisation Programme as set up by Cabinet; changed business case and benefits realisation presenting findings to reshape the project. • Diplomatic management of key stakeholders including HM Court Services, Bank of England, Paymaster General, Law Society and 2 outsource organisations; developed and implemented stakeholder management strategy and communications plan; briefed trainers for countrywide training programme, ensuring all key personnel were fully trained at go live.
• Reviewed and restructured operations of £350m pa trading company; developed 5-year plan. • Restructured approach to bringing in larger and contracts, including implementing Crystal reporting software delivering financial reporting integrity and coherent decision-making for business growth. • Managed negotiations with Ethiopian Government and established credit lines for US$320m contract. • Negotiated sale of company to large European trading company.
• Restructured claims and credit operations, increasing cash flow, reducing borrowing and improving supplier payments process; design and implementation of new processes and procedures to streamline department to maximise operational efficiency and minimise overheads.